Sunday, April 27, 2008

Field Trip to Belle Isle

Alexs' class went on a field trip to Dossins Great Lakes Museum on Friday. It's on Belle Isle which is an island not far from downtown Detroit. I haven't been there in many years, It's really nice they've added different stuff and of course they've taken things away. We had a great time, the weather was nice even though it rained early that morning.
This is a picture of his class. Notice the teacher acting as silly as the kids do. She's giving the boy bunny ears.

In front of the Museum is a cannon so I had him sit there and got his picture before the other kids came. They seem to like the camera because everytime I had it to my eye they came running.
This is part of the museum tour, it's an actual front end of a ship that they've attached to the museum.Although this submarine scope doesn't have anything to do with the Great Lakes, they have it there so the kids can look through and see whats happening on the Detroit River.
This swan is part of a ride that used to be at Boblo Island. You get in it and ride along this pond. Boblo Island used to be an amusement park. The only way we could get there was by boat. I can remember going when I was young. It's been closed for a long time.


We had lunch in the flag room. There are more flags hanging but I didn't get them all. All those flags mean something and the tour guide gave us a card telling what they mean.
After lunch the bus took us a little ways down the island to the play area. I'm not sure how long this has been there but it was really big and nice. I think in another week or two when the weather warms up again I may take the day off work and let Alex skip school, so we can go there and spent the day.
I have almost 3 weeks of comp time to use before the end of school. Each time I use a day I gain double that. I hate taking the time off at the end of school because that's when all the activities are going on.

No comments: